Author Topic: Bad Flash.  (Read 4417 times)

Macflame

Bad Flash.
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:27:07 am »
I flashed my Cubieboard A10 with Android TV image 2.3 in Windows 7 using Livesuite. When I went to boot it the red then green lights came on and the blue light kept flashing. The screen was stuck on the loading 'android' screen for a long time (I went to make a cup of coffee). So I rebooted. Same result. Went to reboot a third time and all I get is a red light. I went to flash the original image back but Livesuite just shows an exclamation mark. I tried upgrading to Livesuite 1.11 but the error message I get now is 'bad image'. I have tried numerous times to make a boot SD Disk to see if I can boot from SD but have failed. I have tried 3 microSd 4Gb cards with the same result, disk write error. I have been using Roadkil's DiskImage 1.6 as I cannot get Win32 Disk to work or Phoenixcard. I am using Windows 7. 
Can I restore the image using the USB Serial TTL lead? I have the lead but do not have a clue how to do it. I have flashed modems before but have forgotten how I did it. My brain cells have been in decline of late!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:46:40 pm by Macflame »

Macflame

Re: Bad Flash.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:20:25 am »
I have now managed to get my Cubie to boot via the SD card socket. Hurrah!
I used my daughters laptop which is running XP and Win32 Disk ran O.K. (I should have mentioned that my Windows 7 is 64 bit - it seems it makes a difference.).
I wrote the original Android image (TV1) to the card but it didn't work. I wrote the Android TV 2.3 version and used the bootable disk option in Win32. It worked! I still get the flashing blue led though.
I had tried other images but Win32 kept giving me 'missing script' errors. Is it that the image didn't not have a script for booting up?
Once the Cubieboard was booted I tried the 'restore to factory setting' to see if that would fix the problem of not being able to boot from nand. It didn't.
Now that I can boot, is there a possibility of being able to fix it so that I can boot from nand?

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 06:35:55 am »
Are you connecting to livesuit with cubieboard in FEL mode?
Disconnect all cables, press and hold FEL button, connect usb cable

Macflame

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:17 am »
Many thanks for your quick reply.
Yes. I even used an external power supply, thinking that maybe my usb socket was not delivering enough juice (I was using the USB to power socket cable, although the Cubieboard does power up from the micro USB socket - According to Mike Cubie.).
I flashed the Cubieboard twice with Livesuite 1.07 which seemed to flash O.K. (I don't think it will flash if the Cubieboard is not in FEL mode.) I have a feeling I should have used the erase nand option so it was clean for the new image. Tried Livesuite 1.11 and that just was not interested! Kept getting a box with an exclamation mark in it - no helpful text!
I am about to try again on my daughters laptop. Fingers crossed!

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:12:32 am »
I even used an external power supply, thinking that maybe my usb socket was not delivering enough juice (I was using the USB to power socket cable, although the Cubieboard does power up from the micro USB socket - According to Mike Cubie.).

I can power my cubie using only my pc usb port, so it is possible to power up it from the mini USB socket.

I flashed the Cubieboard twice with Livesuite 1.07 which seemed to flash O.K.

Livesuite 1.07 works fine with A10. And if you can flash ok you cubie the problem is not the livesuit but maybe the android image. Have you tried another image?

I have a feeling I should have used the erase nand option so it was clean for the new image.

If you have not chosen, you should select the erase nand option to format all the nand.

Macflame

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 10:18:39 am »
Hurrah! All up and running again. I used PhoenixSuit 1.8 on my daughters laptop (Windows XP). I had downloaded a number of images to try, including the 3 Android images on Cubieboard.org. The only one I could get to work was the one that caused the problem in the first place! Android TV 2.3.
I tried Livesuit 1.11 and it gave me exclaimation mark errors. I then tried Phoenixsuit but had to uninstall the drivers installed by Livesuit.
PhoenixSuit showed that there was no device attached but if you load up the image and then put the Cubieboard into FEL mode and connected the USB cable, PhoenixSuit starts to flash.
You can release the FEL switch as soon as you see the network cable lights flash.
I now wonder why the other images didn't work? especially the ones downloaded from Cubieboard.org. They were not SD images as far as I know and were for the Cubieboard. Except for a couple of Debian images.
I can imagine that one or two may have been corrupted. I think that I may have corrupted them by using the wrong type of unzipper (I used 7Zip which seemed to work O.K. but you never know.).
Anyway, I am just going to enjoy it as it is for the moment and leave trying the other distros for a while lol.
I hope my exploits may help others out who find themselves with a supposed bricked Cubieboard.
I am also wondering if there is a way of getting the Cubieboard to automatically flash itself from an image in the SD port like Android tablets do?
Many thanks for your replies and helpful hints.

Offline diogoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:04 am »
I am also wondering if there is a way of getting the Cubieboard to automatically flash itself from an image in the SD port like Android tablets do?

Yes, you can use PhoenixCard