January 18, 2020, 06:39:03 pm

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

Eth 0 speed problems.

Started by KaptKeefman, February 13, 2013, 11:08:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KaptKeefman

I was having some problems with my board ethernet port. I used the Debian minimal server image, and i copied my script.bin from my nand to have the right configuration. But my speed was maximum around 1,2 MB/s orso, so i looked around discussions about other boards with A10 socs like : https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/issues/91

Behind line emac_power was nothing in my script file, so i edit this line to emac_power = port:PH19.
Now my speeds are about 11MB/s. For everybody else here with eth0 speed problems, maybe this could be a solution (at own risk).

patwood

February 17, 2013, 03:30:06 pm #1 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:45:04 pm by patwood
Using the default script.bin (emac_power = nothing) and the 3.4.29 kernel, I am able to get ~94Mbit/sec up and down with iperf and a 100baseT switch. 

Oddly, my hackberry, with the same kernel and emac_power = port:PH19<1><default><default><0> only gets around 10Mbit/sec (seems to detect 10BaseT, not 100BaseT); setting emac_power = nothing prevents the ethernet port from working at all.

BlackSuit

February 19, 2013, 01:30:22 pm #2 Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:32:00 pm by BlackSuit
I have installed ubuntu with the berryboot method. Unfortuntely eth0 is limited to 79kbyte/s. I have tried to set emac_power = port:PH19<1><default><default><0>  in my script.bin but it didn't solve the problem. Any ideas where to look ?

patwood

There's a known problem with the A10's ethernet HW selecting 10BaseT/Half duplex instead of 100BaseT/Full.  Use ethtool to determine what speed your eth0 port is configured at.  A patch can be found here: http://jas-hacks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/hackberry-a10-compiling-kernel-armhfs.html

BlackSuit

Quote from: patwood on February 19, 2013, 05:02:40 pm
There's a known problem with the A10's ethernet HW selecting 10BaseT/Half duplex instead of 100BaseT/Full.  Use ethtool to determine what speed your eth0 port is configured at.  A patch can be found here: http://jas-hacks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/hackberry-a10-compiling-kernel-armhfs.html

Maybe I am wrong, but as I read ethtool it detects 100 mbit ?

sudo ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Current message level: 0xfffff1ff (-3585)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err tx_queued pktdata hw wol 0xffff8000
        Link detected: yes

patwood

Yup, it's 100mb full.  What kernel are you running?

BlackSuit

Quote from: patwood on February 20, 2013, 07:42:16 pm
Yup, it's 100mb full.  What kernel are you running?

Kernel is 3.4.24-a10-aufs+ from the ubuntu which is installed by berryboot.

patwood

I'm using 3.4.29+ with ubuntu 12.10 and get > 90Mb/s on my cubie after the patch I mentioned; my PHY was being set to 10BaseT/Half before that patch.

FloBue

hi!
i had the same problem.
i used a 1,2A power suppy, after swaping to one with 2,5A the probblem was solved :)

flo

(sorry for bad english ;) )

patwood

That's interesting; I've been running my cubie with a .5A USB power supply through the OTG port.  Runs ethernet and wifi dongle w/o any problems.  I only use the HDMI for console, though -- no video.  Never had a problem with the ethernet once I patched the sunxi wemac driver.