December 09, 2019, 08:32:37 am

News:

Have you visited the Allwinner Chipset wiki? - http://linux-sunxi.org/

cubian r4 released

Started by cubieplayer, November 12, 2013, 05:33:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cubieplayer

sanyigz

Which debian version's repositories used by this image?

cubieplayer

neo9

Great, thank you for all the work.

I can confirm that the A20-image works fine on the Cubietruck too. But as stated: no network.

Would you consider enabling the "bcmdhd" wireless driver in the next A20 build for us cubietrucker's?
So that we can try the wifi. Maybe install "wireless-tools" and "wpasupplicant" too.

I'm new to building arm-kernels, but would the GMAC driver from the ct-v101 kernel branch work with the cubian kernel?
Cubietruck / Patwood 3.4.75-sun7i+ #55 / Debian Jessie

Den1982

a2life ask here http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,1012.msg6045.html#msg6045
"I am currently running r2.  Do I just do cubian-update or do I need to reinstall?"
+1

cubieplayer

Quote from: neo9 on November 13, 2013, 07:10:16 am
Great, thank you for all the work.

I can confirm that the A20-image works fine on the Cubietruck too. But as stated: no network.

Would you consider enabling the "bcmdhd" wireless driver in the next A20 build for us cubietrucker's?
So that we can try the wifi. Maybe install "wireless-tools" and "wpasupplicant" too.

I'm new to building arm-kernels, but would the GMAC driver from the ct-v101 kernel branch work with the cubian kernel?

cubian use the mainline linux which havn't merge this driver yet

cubieplayer

Quote from: Den1982 on November 14, 2013, 02:57:36 am
a2life ask here http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,1012.msg6045.html#msg6045
"I am currently running r2.  Do I just do cubian-update or do I need to reinstall?"
+1

no, cubian-update updates kernel and modules, but not rootfs. reinstall is needed

a2life

Quote from: cubieplayer on November 14, 2013, 03:54:12 am
Quote from: Den1982 on November 14, 2013, 02:57:36 am
+1

no, cubian-update updates kernel and modules, but not rootfs. reinstall is needed

Come to think of it, it is quite reasonable.  I have already done a sizable changes to files in root fs. you do not want this trashed. As long as Cubian-upate takes care of kernel and lib modules, it's quite alright.

Btw, I tried out ajenti by installing it to my r2.  It works well and this is incredibly powerful web application.  Actually this is almost too convenient.  Terminal interface it provides thru browser interface is actually root terminal, so is the code editor.  Make sure to change the password of the root account as the default is quite obvious. (actually I will be removing root account if possible)

vierax

Two release in a week : Amazing ! Thank you so much for your work. :D

Few questions :
- Is the auto resize removable or should I run resizefs to custom it ? Because I like to let raw space on SD and SSD as I read it increases the wear levelling efficiency (and obviously add a longevity enhancement)
- As a Web interfaced manager is a possible security breach (it is the case for Webmin) did you add the official Ajenti repository to sources.list ? But maybe they don't provide any ARM branch...
- I use the r2 and I'm curious about what happens in my tty but cubian-update is too much opaque to me comparing to apt-get or aptitude : Do you plan to add a verbose mode of this command ? (sorry if it already has that but I can't access my CB to check the manual nor upgrade for the moment) solved by browsing cubian.org :)
- Since the kernel is updated, is the older kernel kept as a classic Linux distribution or it's simply replaced ?

cubieplayer

November 18, 2013, 09:16:50 pm #9 Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:19:36 pm by cubieplayer
Quote from: vierax on November 18, 2013, 01:35:08 am
Two release in a week : Amazing ! Thank you so much for your work. :D

Few questions :
- Is the auto resize removable or should I run resizefs to custom it ? Because I like to let raw space on SD and SSD as I read it increases the wear levelling efficiency (and obviously add a longevity enhancement)
- As a Web interfaced manager is a possible security breach (it is the case for Webmin) did you add the official Ajenti repository to sources.list ? But maybe they don't provide any ARM branch...
- I use the r2 and I'm curious about what happens in my tty but cubian-update is too much opaque to me comparing to apt-get or aptitude : Do you plan to add a verbose mode of this command ? (sorry if it already has that but I can't access my CB to check the manual nor upgrade for the moment) solved by browsing cubian.org :)
- Since the kernel is updated, is the older kernel kept as a classic Linux distribution or it's simply replaced ?

1. the autoresize is a builtin feature, you can find the code at /etc/init.d/cubian-firstrun. You can modify this file to disable the auto resizefs feature before you plug the power. The code is online aslo
https://github.com/mmplayer/fsupdate/blob/base/common/etc/init.d/cubian-firstrun

2.Ajenti is the original one, not modified on r4 and r3. Ajenti repository is included in sources.list. And it's not related to CPU architecture. AFAIK it's written in python and it's cross-platform. Actually, It's works flawlessly on cubian. You can try it out.

3.If you concern on security, I suggest you enable firewall,iptable and change the default username/password and port should be enough.

4.cubian-update does have verbose output try cubian-update -v

vierax

Thank you for the answer !

1/ Great ! Is the upgrade from r2 safe ? I don't have a lot of configuration (mainly the security one that you talk about)
2/ Sorry I'm dumb, I forgot that it's written in Python. I'll test it once I understand the hard way of administration (It's a learning computer to me)
3/ I did all of this :) (I suppose you mean "ssh port")
4/ As I wrote, I saw this in the kernel news, but it's not a bad thing to remind it :)

turet

Cubieplayer, Great work! Thank you very much  :D

mkendi

November 22, 2013, 12:08:29 pm #12 Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:10:08 pm by mkendi
I also would like to say  thank you very much!

vierax

hello cubieplayer

I'm actually downloading this release with a bad wifi connection and I wanted to know what's the MD5 print of the archive ? I don't know if it's necessary with a 7z file but I just want to be sure that the image wont be corrupted.
thx

mkendi

November 28, 2013, 08:56:55 am #14 Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:41:57 am by mkendi
On "Cubian r5 for A10 and r2 for a20 released" I could read, that SPI is now enabled.
http://cubian.org/2013/09/06/cubian-r5-for-a10-and-r2-for-a20-released/

But in this release there is no SPI.
Did I misunderstand this notification, or do I look in the wrong place? Thanks in advance.